Friday, September 9, 2011

First Day

He woke up ready to go....  Insisted on wearing his new school outfit, though it was going to be 86 degrees today....  I convinced him that big kids wear flannels over t-shirts.  That worked.
There were many poses - Here's the "I'm going to take over the world" pose...
 The "I'm a cool guy" pose...
 The big cheesy smile....
 And the "check out my backpack" pose....
 And one more in case you weren't sure if he was really excited...
He insisted on eating breakfast in the cafeteria (we have free breakfast at our school) even though he'd eaten a big breakfast at home.  He ate every last cocoa puff and most of the bagel with strawberry cream cheese.  Longest 15 minutes of my life.
 Once we got outside it was "See ya Mom!" and off he went with his buddies.  
Trouble....
 In the big long line he looked so small....  I got choked up.  
How did the time go so fast?
 He knew right where to sit and was so quiet.
 I tore myself away and headed to the "Boo-Hoo Breakfast" where they gather up all the kindergarten parents to cry together....
According to my spies he did great.  He was very quiet at their first recess, just standing by himself.  A couple different teachers talked to him and realized he was content - just watching.  I asked him at dinner and he said he was kind of nervous with all those kids there.  I think overwhelmed might be a good word.  That's a lot of craziness!  By lunch recess he was over it and of course reports that recess is his favorite part of the day.
I went to pick him up after all my kids had been picked up and he was hanging out with his teacher's son (an older boy who Ethan adores).
He would not even turn around to say hi!  
I chatted with his teacher and found out that they had decorated apples, practiced adding zero to other numbers, and all sorts of other things.  Ethan had counted to 100 for her and then gotten frustrated in Media because she was telling them all about the mouse.  "I already know how to use it Mom.  I didn't even get to play."  
When I finally dragged him away, he was so quiet and tired.  It wasn't until a bit later (right after he ate a cupcake from Miss Nancy) that he started babbling away....
And then he announced that he never even went to the bathroom.  
I guess he'll save that first for another day...  No time when you're having fun!
I told him he could pick where we went for dinner.  I was expecting McD's - or something to that effect...
Nope.  The airport diner.  Which I explained was kind of far away.
"No problem.  I'm not that hungry yet.
Plus, they have the good mac and cheese!"
It's generic Kraft...  We need to work on his palate.
Next time I give choices...
Dinner was nice - lots of planes to watch.
Lucas got a bit jealous of all of Ethan's stories and started telling us about his school.
He showed us how to pat and then clap our hands.  
It was a good day.  Proud of my boys.

No comments: