Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day Camping! And the rest of the weekend...

I hate getting behind on my blogging, but thus is life. This won't get me quite caught up, but close. Last Friday ( a week ago), we headed out to Sequim to "go camping" with some friends from church. Ethan insisted, "This is NOT camping. We are not sleeping in a tent." I convinced him that it was okay, since our friends were and we were just "Day Camping". It satisfied him (for now) and we headed out on the drive. I only had to make one big u-turn (a trip record! - I have absolutely no internal GPS). We arrived in one piece and were treated to some fun playground running at the campsite and delicious biscuits and gravy made over the campfire - too cool! (See Ethan, camping with mommy would be boring old cereal and granola bars just like home - this is way cooler!) Next we headed down to "the spit". It was a long hike down - though the boys' highlight was the portapotty we had to use before going down. Lucas kept looking for a flush button - pushed everything he could find in there - GROSS!
As one could probably guess - Lucas was freaked out by the unpredictability of the waves, and Ethan loved them. All three boys were definitely fascinated though.
Everyone loved the really cool seaweed - especially this one that had ponytails! It kept turning back up. I'm assuming it wasn't crawling itself, but I could be wrong...The boys did lots of digging and flinging sand around.But Lucas kept a close eye on those waves the whole time. My little anxiety case ;)Pretty soon they decided to build a "pool" and see if it could hold water. Bob had to go get the water and Lucas "helped" him by telling him how to do it... All from a safe distance. We went through many a bucket of water before we actually had some success - though to the frustration of one 5 year old, the pool never actually kept water from draining, just slowed it down.I just loved seeing the "scientific method" in progress!We made the (difficult) hike back pretty well. Lucas started crying near the end - turning on and off the tears quickly as needed. Back to the campsite we went for a true camping lunch - roasted hot dogs! The boys enjoyed the roasting, but not so much how long it took. Patience does not run in our family. I helped hold the hot dogs for a bit and that made it better for them. I love the look Greyson is giving them in this picture. He is the camping expert! By this time, Lucas was getting pretty fussy and rolling around in the dirt getting filthy. He decided that a good way to throw a fit was to kick the dirt up around himself. We had such a great time and were sad to have to leave. This time I only made one uturn as well, but it was when I was about 20 minutes off course that I realized and turned around. At least they got a decent nap...
I didn't realize how filthy the boys were until we were in target picking up some bandaids for my burn (oh yeah, I stupidly burned my thumb brushing ash off Ethan's hot dog). They were covered head to toe in dirt. We headed off the bug museum and I changed their clothes in the parking lot, just in time for our friend Nadia and family to show up. We admired all the bugs and Ethan told Nadia all about writing to the tarantula, Chaco, on facebook. Lucas announced he needed to potty. There is no bathroom at the store, but luckily I had one of his little potties in the back of the car for just such emergencies. He followed me out, watched me place the potty next to the car, shook his head and said, "Go potty here? I no need to go potty." And walked away rolling his eyes.
We also enjoyed an exciting dinner at the Airport Diner. Not because there were lots of planes, but because we visited the restroom at least 5 times during the meal and said "Use your inside voice" about 1,000 times. It was packed. There was a couple right next to us on a romatic date. I think they may never have children now.
Saturday was spent living it up at the Y - swimming, playground-ing, and zumba-ing, and then off to Poulsbo to meet Uma and Upa for a hike. We had a great trail guide....
Lucas was nervous about the dark parts... On our way out, we spied this from afar - Big Brother taking care of him. My heart melts.If only they were always so sweet.... I also love that Lucas' pants are ALWAYS like that (one leg up) if they have elastic on the bottom. I don't get it....
We dinnered at "The Market"- boys had pizza and I got a VERY expensive salad bar (who knew beets weighed so darn much!). Off to the park we went. I was in the middle of a good book, so for most of the time I sat in the middle of this merry go round reading while the boys pushed me. It was fun... for me.
Brian was the good parent and followed the boys all over, even "adopting" another boy that wanted an adult to play with. By the time we left we were all pretty exhausted and hot. Boy does 70 degrees feel different than in Idaho!
Sunday was a BBQ at our friends' house - Alex and Kenzie. The kids (there were a bunch) had a blast- especially with the giant inflatable ball. I so wish I had taken a picture, but I was enjoying being lazy and socializing. The best two moments were when they pushed one little girl (inside the ball) up the slide, and when Ethan poised himself to jump from on top of the play set onto the ball (yes mother, I stopped him). It was awesome!
That brings us to Monday and now you'll have to wait... Ethan is begging for a waffle and I've got my first meeting of the year to go to....

No comments: