Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Realization....

I don't know when the official age of toddler-hood is over, but I do believe Lucas has morphed into a preschooler over the summer. (I do realize that he is still a toddler in many ways, including those terrible two and three tantrums) He is oh so done with diapers (hooray!) - including at night, but don't give me any kudos - it was all on his own accord. We finished our last Mommy and Me swimming class last night which means he is now ready for the classes just like his big brother (hooray!). I will miss all the cutesy songs and games though.... He just is all grown up all of a sudden. He turns three next Monday, but don't tell the camel that... We headed to the zoo last Friday and I may have led the camel to believe that Lucas was already 3. He was a champ and so proud to be able to ride by himself!


We checked in with our favorite baby clouded leopards that have grown so much since we last saw them!

The budgies were a hit with the boys. Alex and Kenzie were a different story. Alex freaked out when the bird landed on her and chucked the stick. Kenzie kept trying to pick up the bird off the stick. They cracked me up!

We lunched in the sun, enjoyed the big show, and saw just about every animal there.

I had told the boys they could get a little wet. I brought extra pants and underwear. I did not bring an extra shirt, so I insisted they should not get soaked. They so did not listen, especially the big kid. He drenched himself and then could not believe how mean I was that I did not have a shirt for him and wouldn't let him go shirtless. I am SO MEAN.

We hit the carousel too - and again, Lucas' first time riding independently (though I was right there). He was very proud of himself and I was also very proud. My big kid.

The kids made it all the way to 2:30 before we hit meltdown - awesome! And meltdown was not even very bad. I think I may have been more tired than them! I think I may still be.

Saturday was a super great day for me! My friend Sonia and I headed to Seattle for a whole day of fun! We ate great food, did a couple of tours - including Fremont where we saw the below art pieces - which were really cool!

And we ate more great food. It was just great to spend the day together chatting and having fun without being responsible for anyone else. Just fabulous!

The boys spent the day swimming with Daddy and then going out for ice cream.... When the cat's away.....
Sunday was a family reunion of my mom's side of the family. It was so odd this year having all the kids be old enough to pretty much play independently. We could literally sit and chat and not worry about it. The spray bottles were a huge hit. I think everyone was soaked at some point.

Lucas attached himself to his cousin Claire who helped him get revenge on Ethan and Eddie.

The tractor rides were a big hit, as always. And now they are all old enough to understand "last time" and "stay in your seat", which makes it far easier....

Ethan likes to make it clear that he's used to this....

It was great to see everybody - though it never seems long enough - and awesome to see all the kids playing together. We were missing the Boston crew, but happily made plans for a Christmas break open house mini reunion....

That night we ventured another first... though this time for the big guy. Every time we drive by the middle school I make a comment that we should go there and take the training wheels off of his bike. I decided that this night would be perfect and so we headed over.....

I told Ethan there were going to be some bumps and bruises and maybe a little blood here and there.... "I'm not going to cry mom. I can do this."


The anticipation was built, the camera(s) were ready.... the wheels were off....

The hardest part at first was keeping his arms straight instead of turning all around.

"Lightning McQueen straight, Lightning McQueen strong!"

Pretty soon it went from a couple feet at a time to a few yards to the whole length of the parking lot....

This one enjoyed being spectator once he found the bucket of animal crackers in the back of the car.....

I could not believe how in the course of an hour he had it all figured out.

So proud. But I know one person that's even prouder.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Way to go Lucas and Ethan!!! Riding a two wheeler with no training wheels, WOW!!!