Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Nerves...

Today was the day for Ethan's 2 little cavities to get filled.
I was a nervous wreck all day.
I absolutely hate going to the dentist and especially getting those numbing shots.
How would he handle it?
 When we got there, he was fine.  Playing checkers (which suddenly he knows how to do?!!) and talking up a storm.  Smiling and laughing with the receptionists.  It wasn't until he got in the chair and the dentist came in that he squeaked out, "I'm a little nervous.  A lot nervous."  And it wasn't until the told him to close his eyes (about to do the novacaine shots) that he started squealing "I don't want to do this today.  I don't want to do this.  Please!"
I stayed calm, but I was really freaking out.  Not to mention that I could fully see the giant needle she was hiding behind her back.  I winced and gave him words about being brave, this was so much easier than his arm!
The dentist took over.  She was so great.  She explained the whole process to him, showing him each tool (except the needle) and letting him touch it all.  She also showed him the x-rays and told him what would happen if she didn't fill it.  The whole time she was patient, calm, and upbeat and he finally decided that he was ready.
He gripped my hands so tightly, his little body going up and down frantically as he breathed fast.  But he did it.  And when the first one was done and she gave him the choice on doing the 2nd one right there, he took a big breath and said, "Let's do it."
After Lucas' swimming lesson we headed out to McD's to celebrate with ice cream.  Bravery should be celebrated I think.
 Lucas really loved his ice cream.  Really loved it.
And poor Brian really loved cleaning it up.  He also really loved having Ethan give him a lecture on getting himself to the dentist.  Ethan was very interested to find out that Daddy hadn't been in about 12 years.  Come on Brian!  If Ethan can get through it, so can you!

No comments: