Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Not Colic, Just Hunger

Well, he's 7lbs 11oz- which is back to birth weight, but just back, so not great. By this time, he should be thriving, and he's not. She told me I could give exclusive breastfeeding one more week - but would need to do nothing but lay in bed, nurse, eat, and drink- or, what she wanted me to do was to supplement with 2 oz of formula after each nursing session. She said I'm not producing enough. The milk supply varies during the day, so there are times where he is happy, but other times where he's really not. Since I'd already tried the lay around and do nothing bit and it hadn't made a difference, we are supplementing. I really wanted breastfeeding to work this time, but I'm being reminded that it is out of my control and mom and baby being happy are far more important. Plus, the way we're supplementing will give him the benefits of breast milk still. She wants me to continue nursing at least until 2 months if possible.
So here's hoping we have a calm rest of the day and evening. I will try to ignore the guilt of my baby being hungry the last 2 weeks and the guilt of failing at breastfeeding and move on. I'm sure I'll feel better when we have a happy, chubby baby!

No comments: